Every week it seems a new service is popping up which is subscription based. Traditional monthly subscriptions have existed for years (e.g. fruit of the month club at Harry & David). However, the buzz about monthly subscriptions seemed to pick up around 2010. Just a few years later, the breadth of subscriptions available leads me to questions what is still left to tackle.
Today, let’s break down some of the subscription services available and the costs associated with them:
- BirchBox | Cost: $10.00 per month for women and $20.00 per month for men
- Stitch Fix | Cost: $75.00 price per item on average (5 items per box or an average monthly cost of $375)
- CakeStyle | Cost: $50.00-$450.00 per item
- Le Tote– A little different in that you return the items. Think Netflix but for clothing | Cost: $49.00 per month
- Men: Bombfell | Cost: $69.00 per month
- Active wear: Ellie | Cost: $49.95 per month for two pieces
- Fruits and Vegetables:
- Farm Fresh to You | Cost: $25 for a small mixed box (up to four times per month)
- Harry and David Fruit Club (the original subscription) | $317.95 per year (~$26.50 per month)
- Foodie Feast:
- Knoshbox | Cost: $30.00 per month
- Nature Box | Cost: $19.95 per month
- Learning Projects: Kiwi Crate | Cost: $19.95 per month
- Pets (don’t forget your dog!)
- Green: Homegrown Collective | Cost: $39.00 per month
- Boxes of Favorites:
- Gifts: Subscription to any of the above services
What’s the grand total you may ask? To have a personal experience selected for you every month will come at a price of $203.85 each month (female) or $123.95 each month (male). That is assuming you chose the cheapest subscriptions, don’t have a child or a dog, and don’t like extras.
This list is just the services that I’ve heard about. Doing my research, I stumbled across a blog dedicated to this topic that has an impressive directory that you may want to check out.
Now the question remains, what subscription service is the world missing? Share your thoughts in the comments.